Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Guest Designing from Helm's Deep!


I am so honored to be a guest designer this week! When Sankari asked me, of course I said yes, but there was true panic as I wondered whether I could honor this movie, this challenge, and you all with my creation this week.

When I think of LOTR: The Two Towers, there are a few things that come immediately to mind - the big battle scene, Aragorn's attraction to Eowyn, in spite of his love for Arwen, and the dichotomy of Frodo and Sam's mistrust of Gollum but their understanding of the need to follow him. All of that on one card...including embossing...what to do? I know! Black and white to show the character struggles and something metal for the battle.
I knew immediately that for the black/white, I wanted to try a new trick my friend Maya showed me - to emboss white powder on black cardstock and black powder on white cardstock. I chose an image that spoke Elven to me (I really don't have very many options here, lol), cut the strips of paper, taped them together then stamped the image in Versamark ink and heat embossed them. My husband thought they looked like a gate and I made my first attempt at a
tri-panel card. I'd never made a card with this layout before and wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I really like it!

Depicting the Battle of Helm's Deep was tough! I tried to represent the metal of the armor and weaponry by using embossed aluminum foil! I simply took a sheet of foil from the roll in the kitchen and ran it through my Swiss Dots Cuttlebug embossing folder. Voila!
My final zhuzhes were adding the ribbon tie to close the card, a vellum interior liner, and ruby rhinestones. Fun!

Thank you all for your continued inspiration and for the honor of being a guest this week! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!







2 comments:

  1. you've done a great job on lining up the swirls! Great job on a very striking card

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the black and white...very striking! Congrats on the Audrey and your inspiring card...also, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete